- Children develop at different rates and have different abilities; all activities are developmentally appropriate which allows children to develop at their own pace.
The Lakewood City School District's Early Childhood Program is founded on the following beliefs:
- Children learn best when activities are developmentally and individually appropriate.
- Children acquire the appreciation of differences in society through the interactions with diverse groups of children and adults.
- Children learn best through play, exploration and discovery.
- The inter-relationship between child, family and school form the core of preschool planning.
- Children must have their basic needs met in order to fully develop their potential.
- Children acquire citizenship skills through interactions with diverse groups of children and adults.
- In the classroom, the process of an activity is deemed more important than the product.
- Each day the children are encouraged to make their own decisions, communicate their experiences, work with other children and adults and exercise self discipline.